Best Shot Timer Review 2018 – Expert Buying Guide
Shooters these days are way more blessed with technology that what they were just a decade ago.
You know why?
In 2018, a simple pocket-size device helps with time, measure and improve shooting skills. This little magic box is called shot timer and today’s article is all about the list of the best shot timer on the market.
Before getting started, we want to clarify the function of a shot timer. Suppose you are in the middle of a survival training. It should probably come as no surprise that if you want to survive, every second is crucial!
The same goes for any shooting competition, where precision is key. Each shot out of the rifle should be as accurate as it can be.
So, what a shot timer does, is it records the time between each gunshot. It may or may not have a starting alert system. In short, it is a timer that counts down the time between each shot and records it.
So, if you want to be precise while shooting, there is no alternative than to choose the best one. And for your convenience, we have combed the market for the best shot timer list out there.
So, sit back and enjoy the review!
Top-Rated Shot Timer Comparison Table!
Our Picks of 5 Best Shot Timer
Our first contender in this review for the best shooting timer is the PACT Club Shot Timer 3. We are certain that a minimalistic shot timer of this caliber will suit your needs. On the other hand, you will probably not find a better alternative at this price range. So, let’s have a look at what it has to offer.
First of all, the overall design is minimalistic. For most people, it is probably a big deal. But if you are a performance guy, then you should probably be fine. But in case you have some concerns about the overall design, then rest assured. It is clearly a worthy choice!
The next thing we would like to cover is the conductive rubber keypad. Of course, keypads of this stature will probably serve you well. Also, the contacts are corrosion proof. So, no worries there.
We would again like to draw your attention to the multifunction display. It will certainly get the job done. It is also worth mentioning that the timer can record up to a 100 fired shots. Moreover, the data compression capabilities are commendable.
Last but not the least, with the Pack Shot Timer, you get two recording modes, random delayed and instant mode. They should probably get you going just fine.
- Minimalistic design stature.
- PACT multifunction display.
- Sealed conductive rubber keypads with robust contacts.
- 100-shot memory with data compression capabilities.
- Instant and Random Delayed (2- 3.5 seconds) timer mode.
- Among many shot timers in the market, the design of this timer is well thought out. It is compact and does fit in the hand without any obstructions to the buzzer or microphone.
- The custom display is robust and comes with an ergonomic keypad.
- Minimal weight offers great usability.
- Comes with a built-in battery saver.
- Finally, the buzzer sound is considerably clear than other products.
- The mic sensitivity could be better.
If you are looking for the best shot timer, it is obvious that you want something compact. Meet the Pocket Pro Timer II CEI001. It is obviously one of the best Pact Shot Timer that you can currently buy in the market.
In case you want to talk about the design, then you should probably happy with the extremely compact footprint. With a height of about 5.5-inches (13 centimeters), you are looking at a shot timer that will easily fit in the palm of your hand.
It is certainly not a coincidence that we have come up with yet another budget-friendly option. Not only will it save some cash, but the overall usability is probably one of the best so far.
Another cool thing to consider is the fact that it can easily run with only one 9-volt battery. It is also worth mentioning that the configurable display (3-mode) will certainly get the job done.
Last but not the least, the 105db buzzer is precise and piercing at the same time. So, you won’t miss it. Moreover, the auto switch off feature after 10-minutes of inactivity is certainly worth mentioning.
- Compact design with large buttons.
- 3-Mode display with a power saving option.
- Instant or Random Delayed Start Buzzer.
- Super easy intuitive navigation system.
- Decent clip belt with a clear line of sight.
- The compact design allows good usability and functionality.
- Power saving option with a 10-minute auto switch off in case of inactivity is a handy feature.
- It is easy to check the timings due to a decent display with a clear line of sight from your belt.
- Large buttons offer a smooth operating experience.
- The 105db buzzer will certainly get your attention.
- There is an overall cheap feeling while using it.
Our next product is from PurchaseCorner. The Pocket Pro II Timer CEI4700 Shot Timer is one of the best prominent contenders in the market right now. The overall feature set will certainly provide you with all the features you need.
First of all, the timer easily fits into the palm of your hand. As a result, you won’t have to look too hard to find a compact shot timer. The compact design certainly gives it the advantage of being a shot timer worth having a look at.
Next, we have the 1500Hz buzzer. The powerful, high-frequency buzzer will certainly reach your ears even when you have ear cuffs on. Moreover, the shot sensors and buzzers have separate spaces. This allows for a more precise experience.
Another convenient feature is the intuitive navigation system. The overall usability increases due to the clever placement of large buttons.
Finally, a 9-volt battery will probably keep your Pocket Pro II shot timer running for almost 20-hours. So, no worries regarding the screen-on time.
- Compact size.
- High capacity sensors with separate housings.
- Solid Buzzer with a 1500Hz output.
- Well-placed large capacity buttons.
- Automatic shut-down feature (after 10-minutes of inactivity).
- Requires a single battery as a power source.
- The overall usability is decent due to button placement and navigation.
- Fits right into the palm of your hands.
- Buttons are easy to press and have a decent feedback.
- Power saving feature adds greater functionality.
- Instruction set should be improved for the sake of the user.
- The overall build is a bit disappointing.
Our final product up for review is the Competition Electronics Pocket Pro Shot Timer. It comes from the same manufacturers as our previous product. But it comes with a few more features than our previous contender. So, no worries!
The first feature we would like to highlight here is the ergonomic design. The design footprint is small. Moreover, you should have no problem handling with either of your hands. Also, the sensors and mic are well-placed. So, there is absolutely no chance of missing the buzzer.
The power saving option is another feature which is present in this shot timer. Of course, in this best shooting timer review, the products should have power saving capabilities. The timer shuts down after 10-minutes of inactivity.
Then have the adjustable sensitivity which allows for a better user experience. Also, the switchability is decent, as you can easily cycle through instant or random delayed start. Moreover, the review options have certainly lived up to the standards.
Finally, it is worth noting that the shot sensors and buzzer has separate spaces. So, the overall performance is never hindered.
- Review up to 50-shots.
- Compact, Ergonomic design.
- Buzzer and sensors are placed well with their separate spaces.
- Power saving capabilities.
- Can display time up to 199.99 seconds.
- Details about the number of shots, and split times.
- The shot timer is easy-to-use. Also, it will probably fit into any hand without issue.
- Ergonomic design with well-placed buttons offers good flexibility while using.
- Buzzer offers a decent output.
- Detailed timings come with easy navigation capabilities.
- Instructions may be a bit clearer.
- The overall build quality is not up to the mark.
Our 3rd choice for the best shot timer is the CED7000 Shot Timer. It is, by far the most eligible candidates in our list for the top-rated shot timers. It shines pretty well in all the performance departments. Moreover, if you are a professional, then you may want to keep it on your shopping list.
As we mentioned earlier, it is a top performer at what it does. The compact design makes it a desirable option for both professionals and novices alike. Moreover, the minimalistic design makes it a top contender in this shot timer reviews.
The second feature we would like to talk about is the LCD screen. You should take note that it was the first shot timer to feature an LCD screen of such caliber. The overall viewing experience is awesome.
Then we have a rechargeable battery to power the device. Also, the high-frequency beep will not go amiss. For a professional shooter, this would be a solid choice for precise shooting.
Finally, a little reminder about the product is that it is clearly a choice for the pros. There is no surprise here, as the overall features offer professional performance. The overall experience, from the design to the time handling capabilities are well-planned and feel premium.
- Illuminated LCD screen with decent controls.
- Auto-start mode, spy mode, countdown mode and more.
- Features a rechargeable battery.
- Adjustable soft beep for dry fire use.
- Weighs only around 3-ounces.
- The compact design offers great flexibility.
- Loud high-frequency beep offers great usability.
- Comes with a huge array of working modes and reviewing capabilities.
- The timer is really easy to carry (wrist and neck lanyard).
- Battery charging capabilities are somewhat faulty.
Top Shot Timer Buying Guide: A Comprehensive Approach
A shot timer will certainly take you a long way if you are someone who loves to shoot. Also, a competition shot timer will probably be a handy piece of tech to tackle your competition. Keeping that in mind, we find it crucial to include a comprehensive buying guide to help you find some of the best shot timers available in the market.
Why do you need a shot timer?
It is obviously a common question of many. If you are entering the realm of survival or entering your name in a competition for the first time, you will find it obvious that each second is important.
A shooting timer is an obvious piece of tech in the realm of shooting, as you will find out shortly. The reasons for this are simple and essential to be on top of your gun game.
- As mentioned earlier, a shot timer is an equipment which can measure the intervals between each shot. If you are in a survival training, you may want to measure each shot taken from your rifle. It will probably give you a better idea of how much time it takes for you to react.
- In order to measure the split time accurately, you will need a shot timer. A split time is basically the amount of time it takes for you to shoot each target. The ideal time, in this case, is about 1.5 seconds. Anything lower than this means you are a good shot! So, for further improvement of your drawing and shooting time, having a shot timer is a must.
- Finally, in order for to measure the par times precisely, you will need an accurate shot timer. Par times come into play when you are at a competition where the shooting times play a vital role in keeping your chances of winning alive.
How to use a shot timer?
Using a shot timer is fairly easy. Even for a novice, the usability should probably be a fair one.
The most common practice of using a shot timer that we found to be the most effective is to set a starting point, perhaps 3-4 seconds. In this way, you can adjust your positioning before you hear the buzzer. It will certainly be a fair practice even for the most inexperienced shooter.
The shot timer will take the readings of the shots fired. After you hear the end buzzer, you can check the split times (the time difference between two shots). Again, it is a standard practice in most training scenarios.
Why choose an Electric Shot timer?
An electric shot timer has three major advantages.
- You get the most accurate measurements possible (depends on the fidelity of the timer).
- Par time settings allow you to set a starting and ending buzzer. Moreover, the Start Delay function comes in handy when it comes to precise timing measurements.
- You can review your previous timings due to data storing capabilities.
What to look for in a decent shot timer?
If you want the best shot timer for the money, you should probably look at these things.
- Display: It is the first crucial factor to take into consideration. Apart from having a clear line of sight, the display should have the right fidelity. Otherwise, the time measuring experience will probably not be convenient enough.
- Storage and Recording: In our shot timer reviews, we have featured products which have a decent amount of storage along with data recording capabilities to let you know about your timings accurately. The same goes for all other competitors out there.
- Durability and Warranty: These two features go hand in hand. If the build quality of the timer is robust, then it is obvious that the manufacturer will offer a decent warranty. Our advice would be to probably find a timer with a decent build. It is likely to come with a decent warranty as well.
- Battery Life: There is not much to say here. A decent battery will give you a longer up time. So, check it out before buying.
- Cost: Finally, be sure to check your wallet. The amount of cash you have will probably determine the features you will get.
If you are looking for the best shot timer, then there are certain things that you need to consider. But we have covered these things in our buying guide. So, you probably won’t have any problem finding your desired product.
Before we say goodbye, we would, however, like to share our final thoughts about the products we have reviewed so far.
The shooting timers we have showcased in this shot timer reviews have some similar traits. For instance, all of the timers have a compact design. They can easily fit in the palm of your hand. Also, the time management, navigation, and ease-of-use are all almost similar.
But each product shines in its own different way. So, do consider the highlighted features before buying.
If we had to choose a product, then the decision would be really tough. So, we will leave it to you guys.
In the end, the decision will be yours to make. We have given you all the information. So, take your time, aim, and pull the trigger on what you think is the best choice for you.