• Home
  • Blog

What Foods to Eat (And Stop Eating) if You’re Suffering from ED

Spread the love

Erectile Dysfunction (ED) is a man’s inability to get or maintain an erection. This is a fairly common condition, especially in older men. However, even younger males can fall prey to ED. It is commonly caused by the stresses we experience from day to day, which, in this modern age, can be quite substantial. So, don’t feel alone.

If you or a loved one have Erectile Dysfunction, some dietary changes may help. While there is no miracle food for ED, several foods have been proven to be healthy for the vascular system and promote healthy blood flow, which is vital to getting and keeping an erection. There are also some foods that may be beneficial for you to avoid.

Foods to Eat

Here is a list of the foods that you should consider eating more of if you are suffering from ED.

Leafy Greens

Leafy greens make the top of many lists when it comes to eating healthy, so it’s no surprise that they are the first mentioned here. Greens such as spinach, collards, and mustards are known to contain high levels of nitrates. Even celery, which offers little in the way of nutrition, is nitrate-rich. Nitrates are known vasodilators, meaning they open up blood vessels and increase blood flow. This is the same tactic used by most common ED medications.

Dark Chocolate

A tasty way to help fight ED dark chocolate. The higher the percentage of cocoa, the better. This is because cocoa contains flavonoids which are an antioxidant found in many plants. Flavonoids work to lower cholesterol and blood pressure, thereby improving the circulation of blood throughout the vascular system.


Another way to both treat yourself, and combat Erectile Dysfunction is to eat pistachios often. Studies have shown that the protein found in pistachios, arginine,  increases blood flow and overall sexual experience when consumed regularly.

Oysters & Shellfish

The list keeps getting better, right? Oysters have always had a reputation for being an aphrodisiac and may in-fact contain compounds that stimulate the release of sexual hormones in men and women.

For males, however, the zinc contained within oysters and shellfish is a definite plus. The mineral is necessary to the production of testosterone. As low testosterone is often a principal cause for ED, it’s no wonder that this could be a positive dietary change to make.


Yes, watermelon is 92 percent water, but it’s what’s in the remaining 8 percent that could benefit you in the bedroom. Watermelon contains phytonutrients, which are another form of antioxidants that relax the blood vessels essential to an erection. Watermelon could even have effects similar to Viagra on ED. That’s quite an 8 percent.


This fruit contains lycopene, which is a phytonutrient particularly good for circulation and sexual desire. Lycopene is found in fruits of a deep red color. Studies suggest that lycopene may be best absorbed when eaten with oily foods like olive oil. I think the takeaway here is clear. Eat more salad!

Honorable Mentions

There are a couple of foods that didn’t quite make my cut. This was due mainly to taste. These include beets, which are super high in nitrates, and pink grapefruit, which contain significant amounts of lycopene. The occasional glass of red wine is also proven to be good for your heart and circulation. You can treat ED and have a good time!

Foods to Stay Away From

There are many foods that you may wish to avoid as well. These include Processed meat, soy, farmed fish, dairy products, white bread and processed carbs, excessive amounts of alcohol, flavored sodas, and bottled water.

If your diet includes an abundance of any of these products, you may want to think profoundly about cutting back. This is especially true for anyone who eats large amounts of soy.

Eating healthy is never a bad thing in any case, so take this to heart even if it doesn’t help with your case of ED. Healthy dietary habits will help you feel better, live longer, and be sharper. Eating right can even taste good!

For those cases that nutritional changes can’t cure, there is always the pharmaceutical option available. There are discounts on Viagra available to help with the high prices as well. Thankfully, the case in which a man can’t successfully treat his ED symptoms is exceedingly rare, so have a chat with your doctor today.

Reed Cooper

Reed Cooper is a Health & Fitness expert from USA. He completed his graduation from the Department of Health and Fitness from a reputed University. He loves to help people to achieve their weight loss and fitness goals through his Blogging. He has good experience about Gym, Hunting, Shooting, and Tactical products. Click here for more details. Twitter: Reed Cooper Facebook: Reed Cooper

Click Here to Leave a Comment Below 0 comments

Leave a Reply: